Thursday, May 22, 2008

Cafe Britt



We headed to Cafe Britt today, another coffee plantation, which was alot of fun and totally different than what we did yesturday. Cafe Britt is one of CR´s biggest coffee corporations, delivering gormet coffee around the world. They were founded in 1985 as the first gourmet coffee roaster in CR. All of the best coffee in the country was being exported, Cafe Britt saw the opportunity to pioneer great change and introduce gourmet quality roasted coffee to CR.

We were taken on a tour of their facilities by three tour guides and explained the history of coffee around the world and how it came to CR. We also learned how they harvest the coffee bean and the processes behind coffee productions. The tour guides were very entertaining through their various scripted presentations (I was able to take part and got a pretty amazing hat out of it). I wonder if they were actors that were educated on coffee or they knew alot about coffee and were taught how to act and perform?

Anyways the trip was fun, educational, and uber touristy. We were all given free samples of their dark roast and I also bought an organic and another blend at their gift shop. There was plenty of oppurtunites for samples, which I took advantage of. We also had lunch there, which was awesome. I ate fish (tilaplia I think?) and I enjoyed it with the rest of the meal, which included a pumpkin squash ginger soup (doubt I'll ever see that canned in Kroger). I can't really compare experiences between the two plantations. Both were great in their own right, but it just apparant that Del Cafe Tal is mom-and-pop and Cafe Britt is a giant corporation. I have come out these two with a new appreciation for a beverage that I never really much thought about, exept I like cream and sugar (and sometimes cinnamon) with it.

No comments: